Thursday 8 September 2011

Office Party
The two girls who share the space next door to mine at Rogue Studios sent the following message out via email:

'We (Ahmed & Carpenter) are hosting an office party in our studio (the office space on the first floor). We’d like to invite you to produce work for this event. We are interested in displaying work which playfully explores the idea of an office and/or the idea of a party - an intervention into what’s already here perhaps, or maybe a performance. Pieces can be quick, fun, and ephemeral, there’s no pressure to produce slick high-art objects.'


Their space is different from everybody elses as they have occupied the small office that was once part of the textile factory before the first floor opened. It is very dated looking and quite cute. As my space is next door I submitted an idea for the show and was selected along with some other brilliant artists including Hilary Jack and Mike Chavez-Dawson.


I proposed working with an existing feature and I was drawn to the ceiling panels which are standard across most offices. Looking more closely at these custom made ceiling panels I was intrigued by the patterning of holes each one has. I do not know the reasoning for this patterning and wanted to draw attention to it so I pinned a gold bead into each and every pin hole that already existed.



The preview was really well attended, nice and relaxed and a lot of fun. Mike Chavez-Dawson treated us all to a rendition of 'The Locomotion' on the hour, every hour which became louder and more heart felt as the evening went on. It was great for me to get to know more Roguettes and it was a really nice show so well done to Annie and Taneesha. 

Unfortunately I forgot my camera and haven't been able to source many of the actual work but here are some general people shots from the night.







No comments:

Post a Comment