Wednesday 16 December 2015

Tread Softly

So as well as continuing with my own practice I am embarking on a small scale business venture which will predominantly be re-purposing second hand furniture. I will be a sole trader and will operate under the name Tread Softly. My twitter handle is Hannah Wiles @TreadSoftlyMCR where you can follow what I'm up to.

The name comes from a poem and although I am not religious I thought the sentiment fits well with the ideology behind the business and links well with my background in stitch.

The Cloths of Heaven

Had I the heaven's embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half-light;
I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.


W. B. Yeats


The following is from my business plan:

The aim of the business is to re-purpose obsolete furniture re-imagining it to create beautiful unique pieces and home accessories using sustainable materials. The company is owned and managed by Hannah Jessica Wiles, with Heather Read as lead advisor and is structured as a sole trader.
We feel that there is a heavy leaning towards the mass produced and disposable society and wanted to push back against this by offering a product that treads lightly on the earth through re-purposing unloved furniture and turning them into modern pieces of furniture which are unique and will be well loved in their new home.

No comments:

Post a Comment